Friday 12 February 2021

THE CLOCK IS RUNNING DOWN

 

Sadly I attended the funeral of my mother in law last Friday. It was, like all these Covid times, unlike anything I had ever experienced before.

I shall miss her. She was a good woman. She was a strong woman. She was part of that generation that came of age in the Second World War. She did not have it easy. She made a good life for herself and her family. She welcomed me into that family. I shall miss her.

double masked


eleven people in a chapel


the clock is running


down


on our fifteen minute slot


if I had though about it

and I had not

I would not have imagined it this way


cut


with flashes of every sad ceremony

I had ever attended

If this poem is anything, it is therapy. Sometimes we have to write to make sense of life, meaning only becomes clear when words are on the page.

You can read another poem about my mother in law here.


Annabelle Chvostek has a new album out in March. Here is the second single.


Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment