Friday 30 March 2018

UNWRAPPING THE MUMMY

I have come across a number of references to Egyptian mummies being unwrapped recently. Apparently there was a craze for doing so in Napoleonic  France. There was not much scientific rationale for do so, but when has that ever stopped people.
I felt that this activity was fertile ground for the poet.


The Unwrapping Party

When I lay there,
having my brain extracted through my nose,
while my guts were pulled out by the handful
and dumped into the jars at my feet,
I did not foresee that my sleep would be disturbed
by anyone less than a God.

I could even put up with the French interrupting my twilight,
but to be labelled a minor figure,
in the political structure of the Lower Kingdom,
while accurate, could have been said with more respect.
This social event makes no pretence at science,
which has come to replace religion for these people,
I am merely a sideshow to titillate the matrons of Paris.

The professor talks his audience through the process,
removes each wrapping, holding it aloft for their scrutiny.
His commentary revealing more of his time than mine.

Then I will lie under glass, naked,
having seen too much,
and my second cycle of waiting will be ignored by the passers-by,
who hurry to see the real treasures of the museum.
This is definitely a work in progress. Watch this space.
Alela Diane has just released a new album.  It's well worth a listen.
Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment