Friday 15 March 2019

MAKE A CUP OF TEA

 
A revised poem courtesy of Paul Mortimer. Some of you may be aware that Paul is a very fine poet and was a member of Juncture 25. Since the ending of the Juncture 25 me and Paul have continued to meet and offer each other constructive feedback. 
Paul suggested that the last two lines of this poem were opened up to allow them to speak more clearly. You can read the previous draft here.

House Clearance

The enormity of it all just stops you
dead in your tracks,
one long life lived
and here you are in the hallway
wondering where to start,
wishing it were simply a woollen jumper
with one loose thread you could unpick.
Of course, it’s not that easy
so you walk through the rooms,
upstairs then down,
make a cup of tea
sit at the kitchen table
drink it black,
because the milk has gone off.

I think it works better.
I have no idea where the poem came from. Sometimes they write themselves. I always think it's best to get the poem down on paper without thinking/reflecting on what is coming out. Once you have got it on the page then you can start to work out exactly what you want to do with it.
Last weekend I was in Deal, Kent and while I was shifting through record boxes I came across a copy of the Chambers Brothers Time Has Come Today. Fantastic music. Needless to say I snapped it up.
Here's a live version. Let's wig-out man.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment