Friday 7 August 2020

SOME LIVE THEIR WHOLE LIVES LIKE THIS


Some short poems that have been around for a while waiting.
The first is about Brexit and how those that voted for it still do not realise the true cost.

Brexit


how easily we gave up our birth right

we were not even truly hungry

but we swallowed what we were told

only later did we come to regret it

when the true cost caused us

to look at what we had bought

with clear eyes


I am not sure where this next poem came from. I found it nearly fully formed in a notebook. I have no recollection of writing it.

this morning I discover

I am missing a layer of skin

clothing itches

every step informs me

my shoes are just that bit too loose


to the mirror I present the same image as yesterday

unflayed but sensitive

some people you tell me

spend their whole lives like this

I am silent waiting for tomorrow


Lastly a poem about forgetting your lunch.

halfway down the motorway

the image of his lunch

immobile

on the kitchen top

popped into his head

the distance between it

and his stomach widening

it was going to be one of those days

Here's Boo Hewerdine.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment