Friday 10 June 2022

JUST OPEN A WINDOW

There are some poems I repeatedly return to. I am not sure if I make them better, perhaps I overwork them? Here is one I have been revisiting.

he exists inside of the event

unable to find the thread to follow to daylight


finding letters then words he speaks


imagine

staring at the world

through a letterbox

set in a stout locked door

and having no key


I reach for my metaphors lock pick

just open a window nip out the back


but he will not budge


my words merely the clatter

of cutlery poured onto quarry tiles

The final image is powerful. I hope the sound conveys the stuck nature of the interaction. You can lead a horse to water and all that. For change to occur the individual has to want to change. You can read the earlier version here.  

The poem is laid out differently and many of the lines have been altered. Which do you think is the better?

Here's Footshooter featuring Albertina.

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment