Friday 3 March 2023

A TURN UP FOR THE BOOKS

I've revised the last post's poem. I wrote at the time it didn't feel complete, not sure it is now but I think it's better.

all new borns have this old soul stare

as if they’ve not quite got used to being back in the flesh

or just where they’ve ended up this time

they look into our eyes and speak to us


so you made it here first this time

that’s a turn up for the books

no word of a lie

this place is a bit rum

but let’s make the best of it eh


and usually we do

I wanted to expand on the voice and I also thought that I took too much time getting to the gist. My aim is always to be as concise as possible. I also think that too much frame around the poem detracts from its impact. You need to interrogate every word, does it really need to be present? What does it bring? Does the poem work without it? 

I got a copy of the new Palooka 5 album Alien Grace this week, it's excellent. Rumour has it there is an ep in the can ready for an autumn release! The band goes from strength to strength! Here's the title song.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment