Friday 29 September 2023

ALL THE BEAUTY DRAINS AWAY

History has a habit of repeating itself. That which is of worth goes unrecognised and is side lined, while the banal is given centre stage. I have seen this a number of times over the years and that is what this poem is all about.

here we are again- redundancies all round


here comes the new one

desperate to make their mark

and fix what is not broken

quality is neither here or there

to people like these

intent on their vision


so something unique will go

and the the vacuum filled

with the second rate

and we all are the poorer

as all the beauty drains away

I agree it's a little too shouty, too much tell, not enough show. All I can say in my defence is that it comes from the heart.

I too close to this next poem to see it clearly, though I think it's some of the way there.

listen, I’m not maudlin

I don’t think of you that much

not since you ghosted me


but I thought I saw you today

by where your office used to be

when the sun was in my eyes


it was only when they spoke

I realised I was mistaken


and it was some other clown

in last year’s suit

attempting to be themselves

which was a whole lot more

than you’d ever done

Watch this space. There is the kernel of a poem in there but at the present it isn't clear. It's definitely a case of some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you and some days you both go hungry. Wow! I was looking up the origin of the phrase when I came upon this long thread relating to The Great Lebowski. I love the internet for this sort of thing!

I've been listening to a lot of Iron & Wine recently and here is Walking Far From Home.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment