Friday 8 March 2024

JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE

I was looking at an old poem the other day and thinking I could do better. I'll let you decide. You can read the earlier version here

LET THE TRAIN TAKE THE STRAIN


it is clear the train company worries about me

this is why they advised [twice] me to hold the handrail

at all times when I climb the station stairs 

counselled that I must carry water on my journey

as this weekend’s weather will be unseasonably hot

and suggest should I feel unwell

then I must disembark at the next station

as this will make it easier for them to aid me


obviously they have heard that I forget things these days

and so repeatedly remind me

in these times of heightened tension

not to leave my luggage unattended

because if I do the security service may damage

or blow my case to smithereens just to be on the safe side

it is also pointed out that I should stand behind the yellow line

and let people exit the train before attempting to enter

and to mind the gap at all times


as I am now in the quiet carriage I must not play my music

talk on my phone or annoy the other passengers

it is a shame the railway company

does not practice what it preaches

I remember the circumstances in which I wrote it clearly. I was travelling to Swanage in Dorset one summer's day on the train and was struck by just how many announcements were made. I hope the poem is rather tongue in cheek. What have I done? Well, I think I've clarified the ideas more fully than in the last version. 

I've been listening to Breathe Owl Breathe recently. They've always been a band I've enjoyed and I've found this video you may like.

Until next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment