Friday 6 September 2024

THE FLAVOURS OF THE NIGHT

Here's a poem that I was not happy with. You can read that version here. I put it away for six months and this is the result:

I was in Lisbon when I found myself

thinking about the Liverpool Stadium

for in the second hand shop window

was a copy of Barclay James Harvest Live

and I could taste the flavours of that night again


It wasn’t the best time I saw them

that would have been Sheffield 1974

the Time Honoured Ghosts tour

it was just a piece of my past

making it large from out of nowhere


Then going away again

to wherever it had come from

I'm still not sure it captures the exact mood I was after. It's that Proust madeleine idea, where something suddenly and unexpectedly takes you back to a forgotten incident and in that split second you are right back in the middle of it.

Holly Ebony's album has been out for a year or so now and we've listened to it a lot. It's well worth catching her and her band live. Here's The Rains Came.

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment