Friday 29 December 2023

OPTOMISTIC STARTS THAT JUST STOP

Seasons greetings to you and yours. I have been ill and so missed my weekly post. Here's a memory from forty plus years ago. It has taken a while to get it on the page.

1979


for this birthday she rented him a VHS video recorder

we all marvelled at the squat black rectangle

she had to set it up because he was rubbish at that sort of thing

it was timed to record Casablanca while we went to the pub


then began to watch this film we’d all seen many times before

feeling free agents now adrift form the tv schedule

but it stopped as they sang La Marseillaise abruptly a screen of white noise

because we’d turned it on before the end of the transmission


I moved to Plymouth so didn’t see them for a year

and when I did they were no longer a couple

she’d met a man had was having a baby

he was drinking with a serious I had never seen before


she told me their life together

could have been summed up by that afternoon

optimistic starts that abruptly stopped

It was nearly a prose poem but I thought the long lines could carry the story. It is mostly true. It revolved around abrupt endings. How things never turn out as you think they will. I think it needs to go away for a while now and when it returns I shall see all the errors.

I've been taken by Naissam Jalal's new album Healing Rituals. It is a work of beauty.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment