Friday 15 December 2023

IT'S SO OLD HAT

I wonder why I return to some poems and not others. Today, a couple of examples of poems that haven't quite worked, revised drafts. This first poem can be read here and here

The Classic Murder Mystery Continues To Disappoint


my book is read once again

I must walk through the head of the reader

and overhear their thoughts


the author may deploy

sleight of hand

far fetched coincidences

then withhold vital information

until the final chapter


so we gather in the library

I know it’s so old hat

positively groans with theatricality

yet here we are again


and once more I am shamed

my weaknesses uncovered

the other characters look away

make their own sordid confessions


while you dear reader sigh

think how trite the ending is


but is your life really any better constructed?

The ending has changed once again and I've tried to tighten up the middle. I think it needs to be put away for some time to allow the flaws to show.

This second poem I just came across and thought that I could make more succinct. You can read the previous version here.

the world needs violins more than ever

bow and bone to dance over the strings

positive vibrations to inspire us all on

change is possible start today

Have I succeeded? I leave that to you to decide.

Here's Sachal Vasandani with No More Tears

Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment