Friday 16 August 2024

RAIN WET ROAD

Here's a strange one. It's part tell, part not. There's a feeling of menace about the final line. I suppose it's a mirror of this poem.

he returns

to find a dry rectangle

on the rain wet road


nothing else


the police tell him

that little I

denoting fuel injection

was too attractive

to some student in the rain


easy enough

break a window

hot wire the car


when he got back she cried

after all that has happened

we could do with some luck


worse was to come

My car was stolen, many years ago, in Leeds. The police did say it would be a student who doesn't want to walk home in the rain. They located it in the middle of the night. Side window smashed, the glove compartment emptied. The usual. 

The poem is a series of arresting images and much is left unexplained. I think it's one for the drawer. Time will tell...

Here's Laura Gibson. I've been playing her albums lately.

Until next time.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment