Saturday 12 November 2016

GOODBYE LEONARD

I was as surprised as anyone to hear that Leonard Cohen had died. 
I never met the man but I owed him a great deal.
I was 12 or 13 when I first heard him. The second album had just come out and I was sold. The lyrics, the music and the implied lifestyle seemed so attractive. I made the decision that I too would be a poet. I have never looked back.
He was inspirational in many ways. The dedication to his art; his willingness to spend years distilling a piece into perfection; his celebration of God; his humour and humanity. 
Leonard was always never less than excellent live and at times he was transcendent.The 1979 tour and the first 2 performances of his comeback in 2008 in Manchester spring to mind.
I would like to extend my condolences to his children Adam and Lorca. Our thoughts are with them at this time.
Thank you Leonard. You will be greatly missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment