Friday 20 September 2019

BETWEEN THUNDER AND THE ECHO

I have just discovered this is my 500th post.  I don't normally take note of such numbers but 500 seems like an achievement. I looked to get an estimate of how many poems there are on this blog. Given that there are a number of revised poems, reviews and interviews I would suspect there are at least over three hundred poems.
That really is amazing. I'll leave it up to you to decide if any of them are any good.
Here's to the next 500!
Now  the poem that gives the post its title.


in this still air not a tree shivers
we walk empty streets of paused lighten
and when the rain does come
we are caught in the open
between the thunder and the echo
our clothes far too thin for the wind
which saws through the skin
to pare each bone



This is not a finished poem. I feel it needs to go somewhere but at the moment I am not sure exactly where. It has description but I am not sure it has a tongue to tell its truth. 
Watch this space.
Now a second poem I wrote a couple of weeks ago in Teignmouth.


Teignmouth Poem Number 1

when glimpsed through these trees
the pier could be a bridge
connecting the drab and the mundane with
anywhere you care to dream of

some place of lives lived by other rules
where people tell their truths
and do not meet just to say goodbye



Again I feel this poem needs time to breathe. Sometimes the poem arrives whole and other times, like now, I have to leave them to acclimatise. 
Here's a track from Kathryn Williams' Anthology. It is proving a balm given the political turmoil our crime minister and his jolly gaggle of privileged poltroons are causing. 
Kathryn is touring the UK at the moment. If you get the chance go and see her, she's wonderful live.
Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment