Friday 7 May 2021

ALL IS ENERGY ONCE MORE

 

 

The other day I noticed just how tall one of the horse chestnut trees was in the local park was. 

the horse chestnut


All is energy once more,

a sap green canopy

ablaze with conker candles

and suddenly over brimming with life.

Taller than the houses

that cordon Carey Park.




I originally had:

I walk between the trees

words of praise on my lips.

at the end but thought the poem did not need my endorsement. 

Here is another poem I've shortened.

Night Meteorites


the bathroom window

was a dark blue square

stained by the street light

he chanced to see

friction lines cut the sky


on waking he will question the memory


You can read the original here.

Essentially I have removed the first two lines which described waking in the night. Sometimes the poem needs a frame to contextualise the events but where ever possible I try to let the poem stand as it is. Once written and out in the world poems can be interpreted in many different ways. Who is to say the poet holds the definitive explanation?

I leave you with Jonah Moyo and Devera Ngwena.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment