Friday 21 July 2023

THE TALKING PIPE

My poetry workshop at Tropical Pressure was well attended and I would like to thank all the people who turned up and made it so successful. It was really good fun and I was impressed by the quality for the work produced. Thank you.

The festival was excellent, as it always is, though the Thursday night/Friday morning was a little damp. I saw some excellent acts and would like to thank Jill Dunn and all the other people who worked so hard to make the festival such a success.

Here's my draft of the poem I wrote during the workshop. I should explain that the talking pipe was an overflow pipe at Pex Hill in Widnes. Back in the early 1970s we used to go up to the top of the quarry after the pubs shut and look out over the town.

the landrover complained

backfired up the lane

it’s mixed petrol shortage diet

but we are here now

under a black sky 

no moon tonight


and Kenny calls down the talking pipe 7

it answers in booms

that echo around our ears

the lights below seem to flicker

as if Widnes is about to answer

this moment will never be repeated

This is a very rough draft. interestingly the last line came first along with an image of the talking pipe and Kenny, who sadly is no longer with us, shouting into it. Watch this space for a revised version. 

I shall leave you with Alogte Oho and His Sounds of Joy who closed Saturday night's music with a barnstorming set.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment