Friday 15 July 2016

MOTEL POEM

More poems from my recent trip to Oregon.
There is some worth in capturing your impressions of a place as quickly as you can. I keep a notebook with me at all times and often just jot down lines, or ideas that I can work on later.
This first poem came from two such entries made a couple of hours apart that upon rereading wrote the poem.


MOTEL POEM

The big white wooden letters of the sign on my motel room wall orders me to RELAX.

Through the wall, I hear a couple talk too loudly.

They argue at a pitch they do not believe will carry.

Perhaps the sign in their room commands them to BICKER.
 The second I wrote in a restaurant and I hope it captures the essence of the subject.


SKETCH

He has the obligatory tatts
and shorts that show a Tiki,
as bees swarm around his calf;
a goatee; is bald.
And on his nearest bicep
the hint of Karloff's Frankenstein.
I simply wanted to capture the impression of a person in passing, to sketch out half the outline in the hope that it will tell all.
Here's a video of Anna Ternheim singing Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely, a hit originally for the Back Street Boys I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment