Friday 17 June 2022

DRINK IN THE BEAUTY

I've been in two minds whether to share this poem or not. I think I am too close to it to see it clearly. So you get to be the judge.

the spot was idyllic and

I had been happy enough

looking at the wrong tree


elaborately inventing signs

of how your ash had fed the forest

then Nigel pointed out


a wet grey streak on the soil

ten foot from where I stood


that’s life you whispered

in the rain drops that watered the velvet moss

drink in the beauty

It is based on a true incident. I did misremember where we had scattered the ashes and I think it doesn't matter. Rejoice for the gift of a life lived well and the cycle of birth, death and rebirth.

Leyla McCalla has a new album out. I cannot recommend it enough. 

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment