Friday 28 April 2023

THE TROUBLE WITH TIME TRAVELLERS

Poems arrive by many routes, an image, a word, an idea that you catch and shape or in the case of this post's poem, a single line: the trouble with time travellers. It was an arresting statement, what are the difficulties of talking to people from the future? Apart that is from the practical ones like how do you do it? Putting that to one side I thought about how they would probably want information, for you to confirm a theory, for your words to grant them academic status. 

Local Truth


an innocent question

so loaded

that you have to answer

so honest


the looks they exchange as you talk

your truth

I told you so all over their face


what I hate about time travellers

is the words they use to each other

its incredible they lasted this long

you can see why they died out can’t you

I also wanted to infer that the person speaking might be talking about power imbalances in general. How do you think I have managed it? One to take to the Secret Poets if ever there was. Watch this space.

I've been listening to a lot of Iron and Wine recently. He is such a good songwriter. I have been especially taken with this song.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment