Friday 5 May 2023

ENTROPY IMAGINED

When I started this blog over eleven years ago I had a life time's backlog of poems, I've worked through those in the intervening years and these days I tend to post work in in progress.  Here's a poem I've been revising. You can read the original here

THE HEAT DEATH OF THE UNIVERSE


today’s marker is a frozen computer

that denies us access stalls the lecture

locks us out of the digital cornucopia


such reminders are placed strategically

scattered across our lived experiences

but we have to want to read the signs


and mostly we choose not to


a tuesday afternoon can be long enough

who wants to think in planet time

let alone attempt to imagine entropy


say the last night in the life of the earth

just before all the atoms are scattered

out across the expanding universe


let’s celebrate instead

the fleeting eternity we live every day

we are here now that’s enough

The layout has changed and hopefully I've clarified the opening. The Secret Poets thought the start was unclear. What do you think?

Here's an unexpected joy. I did not expect any other videos of Michael Stipe, Natalie Merchant and Billy Bragg to emerge [the one of them singing Hello In There is superb], but one has. Enjoy.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment