Friday 12 May 2023

DRIVE THE BUS BY PROXY

I've been cat sitting for my daughter in London and his has enabled me to take in the culture. I've been travelling by bus more than I usually do and was prompted to write this week's poem about my travels. When I was a child I used to always try and sit on the top deck of the bus at the front, over the driver, so as to see what they see and to imagine I was driving the bus. 

When I get a bus ticket I always look at the ticket number to see if they total 21, if they do then it's a lucky day! When I showed this poem to the Secret Poets they had never heard of this superstition. I searched on line for references and could only come up with one. Apparently Matt Wharmby, reminded the blogger of the practice of adding up the numbers at the top of the ticket, (this was unique to each ticket), thanks Matt.

BUS POEM


heres to all the people who rush upstairs

to sit at the front of the bus


who want from on high

to see what the drivers sees


who drive the bus by proxy


there can only be one winner

for that seat of majesty


so here’s hoping the runner’s up tickets 

all add up to 21 in the ticket number lottery


that way their day

will be granted mystery

The poem is just a light slice of whimsy. May you all get a ticket that totals 21!

Here's a new band I heard about this week, Kingfishr.

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment