Friday 24 May 2024

FEEDING THE DEVIL

My Mother told me when I was a child that I should never put bread on the fire as doing so would feed Satan. I was never convinced but I obeyed my Mother's directive. As I got older it just seemed a waste to burn bread. The memory of her injunction prompted this.

 “Never, ever, put bread on the fire.”

My mother was adamant about this

Not even two day old stale crusts

because you’re feeding the Devil.”


In winter she would burn vegetable peelings

they would smoulder on the coals

deprive the room of heat.


I used to wonder about the menu in hell

whether Satan longed for a soft white balm cake

and took his wrath out on the nearest food critic.

I wrote it quickly, the ending about the food critic just appeared. By the way a Balm Cake is a soft white roll from the north-west of England. It's a regional delight. Here's a little poem I've been reflecting on for a while.

early morning empty room


the sound of one door opening

will ripple this silence

appreciate the echo

of each footfall

and the day begins with laughter


 

It began with the title on Monday at work. I arrived in the rehearsal space first and noted the echo. It is a small observation/memory. I think it will go no further than this post.

I'm going through a Murray Head phase again. He's just released a live album and it set me listening to his back catalogue. Here's a live recording.


Here's the original.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment