Tuesday 22 April 2014

PORT SUNLIGHT


Last weekend I visited the Lady Lever Art Gallery in Wirral. Having grown up about an hour away, I have to confess this was my first time. I had read about Port Sunlight when I was student- a model village built in 1887 by Lever Brothers the soap manufacturers. It fits into that philanthropic employer movement that is so sadly lacking today.

  
What I was not prepared for was the sense of space. The main road is of boulevard proportions lined by houses in the Arts & Crafts style. There are 900 houses but it does not feel cramped, the overall impression is of light and space.

  
The Lady Lever Art Gallery has a permanent collection of Pre-Raphealites, sculpture and much Chinese porcelain. It also has a Napoleon Room- the Victorian's had romantic take on Napoleon that I don't myself understand. There is a sign saying that research has shown that the furniture is later than first thought, but there is a death mask.


What really impressed me was the temporary exhibition of Turner watercolours. They were superb. If you get a chance to see this travelling exhibition take it. You will not be disappointed.

  
The Bowling Green

The Hillsborough Memorial Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment