Friday 1 June 2018

INVISIBLE WORKERS

Another poem inspired by my days in Abu Dahbi. It is self explanatory. 

such a vacant highway
six lanes of no traffic

my early morning flight
requires this pre-dawn drive

beyond a wire fence
on a service road

coach after square functional coach
head in the opposite direction

just the movement of invisible workers
towards a city that cannot run without them
I had some difficulty shaping the poem. At times I get lost in the frame, that part of the writing that leads you into the poem, the explanatory lines. While these are useful to the poet they add nothing to the poem. It took me some time to pare the words back to the essential.
I thought I'd leave you with I Am The Walrus. I first saw this on Boxing Day in 1967. It has lost none of its majesty.
Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment