Friday 22 October 2021

PURLOIN THEIR INSPIRATION

 

As part of my poetry retreat last weekend I was fortunate enough to spend Saturday morning looking round Charles Causeley's house, which is now a museum and pretty much preserved as it was at the time when he died. 

Charles Causeley spent most of his life in Launceston, Cornwall. He was a school teacher at the same school he had been a pupil. He was quite simply an excellent poet. 

Though I was conscious when I was looking round that I was in his personal space I did write this poem.

Rummaging Through Charles Causeley’s Record Collection


nothing grabs me

too classical by far

save for a solitary

Oscar Peterson plays Cole Porter

I could grove to that

but the atom powered Dansette

monophonic record player is missing its needle

and I feel too much the tomb robber

I never have been able to resist looking through someone's music collection, but I'm not sure what that says about me. By the way Dansette was an old record player from the 1950/60s. 

on exploring Charles Causeley’s house


we might be buyers with money to burn

this could be a viewing


house all shipshape

bristol fashion


I am in the footsteps of a poet I don’t know

a most modest master


so I search for clues

open drawers look in wardrobes


but you cannot wear another’s words

purloin their inspiration


it doesn’t work like that

I think tomb robber is about right for how I felt. I was conscious of the fact that I was looking for inspiration in the very place where most of his ideas coalesced. It was unique experience and thanks to Annie for organising the weekend. 

I have to end with Natalie Merchant's version of Nursery Rhyme of Innocence and Experience, a poem by Charles Causeley.


Until next time. 

2 comments:

  1. I go through the book collection - but I am not capable of writing poetry about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,
      I go through people's book collections as well! I think it is an insight into the individual, but that could be simply pop psychology at its worst.
      I am sure you novels are poetic in there style.
      Take care.

      Delete