Friday 29 April 2022

STILL ONLY WEDNESDAY

Sometimes I have difficulty writing a weekly post, the words just don't come. As you read this I am away and this blog was written a week ago. This is the 646th post, so over the past ten years plus I must have produced over 550 poems, which does work out at one a week. 

But not today however. Here is a poem I half wrote last year but at the time during the pandemic could not polish up. I am still unsure about the change in the point of view, as the first stanza is that of an observer and the second and third is that of the driver. Perhaps it does not matter...

an impossibly long mourning car

waits at the red light

side windows fogged with disbelief


the change to green offers hope

that the driver reflects

is lost on his passengers


he thinks of renewal

the advent of spring

his fifth job this week and its still only Wednesday


Brian Pattern talks about the effect a good last line can have on the reader. How it can change the meaning of the poem utterly. That was what I was trying for.

The amazing Sault have a new album out. You can buy it here.

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment