Friday 4 November 2022

MUGGED ON DREAM STREET

I have a good beginning for a poem but the end is vexatious. It almost feels like I've tacked it on from another poem. Some poem's are slow to reveal themselves. 

a starveling thesaurus

mugged me on dream street

stole my vocabulary

speechless

I mimed the night away


in the dawn’s cold light

my whispered words

pebbles in my mouth

I've been playing around with it for the last two weeks. I think it is time for it to go away for a while. This next one attempts to capture those brief moments of insight.

just like that

he finally got it

perceived the interconnections

rolling down the predawn road


he finally got it

near enough words

poured from his mouth

they’d have to do for now


stopped at the lights

he repeats them

merging with the traffic

he speaks every one


so he finally arrives

writes down his litany

the mouth worn words

offer no point of entry


if he had it

it has gone

Actually it is pretty much as it happened. I was driving to Plymouth and for a split second everything fitted together- then as quickly, it was gone.

I am missing meeting with the Secret Poets. I feel I need their perspective on some of my recent work. Watch this space.

Here's Paul Simon with The Obvious Child. I had forgotten what a good song this was. Although lyrically it is not quite as sharp as the Hearts & Bones album.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment