Saturday 17 December 2022

A TREE ON YOUR HEAD

Apologies for the tardy arrival of this week's post. I have not been well. Today another exercise from the Goat Island Book of creativity exercises. The prompt was:

GROW A TREE ON YOUR HEAD


I had a plan

once the sapling took root


I gave my hats away

though that winter was cold


my bare head and thin trunk

shivered in the cutting wind


increasingly doorways become problematic

bow or stoop?


as the branches spread

narrow entrances were impossible


so I have to shout through the window

when I want bread from the baker


I drive with the sunroof open

increased petrol use wind in my branches


I eat for two in autumn

in preparation


my thoughts sluggish this second winter

as the tree on my head slumbers

I'd been thinking the prompt over for a couple of days before I wrote anything down. What struck me was how much space you would require and how difficult entrances and exits would be. The end arrived easily. It is a workshop poem, though a video would be fun...

I leave you with an exciting new group from Catalonya Lola & the Rhinos. This is their latest video My Rules.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment