Friday 30 December 2022

ALL WILL BECOME CLEAR

Recently I have been using the Goat Island book of creative exercises to spark the muse. I have mentioned it before, I was given a copy by a friend, who swears by it as a means of unlocking creativity. It is certainly sending me in different directions to my normal process.

JUMP IN THE AIR WITH BOTH FEET OFF THE GROUND AND STAY SUSPENDED FOR FIVE MINUTES


feet off the floor

the spine curves

centre of gravity alters


and here you are

rocking in the breeze

zero ballast


your shirt your sail

tack into the wind

above the pavement


there is now no rule book

all will become clear

I like the idea of being weightless and floating down the road like a sailing ship. There is a dream like feel to the concept. This second poem is about a print I have had for many years.

WATCH THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD


she had stood in the bathroom

early digital camera over her shoulder

the trick if there was one

minimise the lens

maximise her back her neck

that half of the head she never sees


photoshopped in A-Level art class

etched on a plate

printed on art quality paper

and sold to me over twenty years ago

The direction to watch the back of your head could have involved physicality, mirrors or a periscope, but it reminded me of the print. I am always unsure about poems based on art works as without the illustration it is difficult for the poem to stand alone. 

Here's Iron and Wine with Calexico

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment