Friday 23 June 2023

NIGHT TRAIN

I had some friends round for a meal recently and we were talking about train trips and one of the people mentioned a journey they had taken on a night train in Sweden. After they spoke I commented that it would make a good poem...

Night Train to the North


it was not that far

through the cold streets

we find the platform

board the train


four of us

in a compartment for six

thankful for the room

grateful of the privacy


we pull down the beds

the motion lulls

soon you all fall comfortably

into rhythmic dream breaths


but one of the carriage wheels

complains at every bend

I hear the bearings scream

and choose to sit


look out the window

the snow reflects the stars

take in each field and village

as we roll on through the dark


in this country the people

leave a solitary lamp

burning in their windows


sometimes we need a sentinel

to anchor our dreaming souls

I shall be yours this night

counting the lights until you reach waking

I really liked the story and I hope I have done it justice. I wrote the poem after they left but I've been working on it now for a while. Thanks to the Secret Poets for their observations. I hope you enjoyed the Solstice, but more on that next time.

I know I put up a Natalie Merchant song last post but her new album is excellent.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment