Friday 30 June 2023

LOST BY INCREMENT

What an interesting couple of weeks and me away, unable to celebrate the resignation of the Prince of Lies [formally the crimeminister- you know the one, he partied all through lockdown and then lied to Parliament about it]. He walked away before he could be censured and then tried to spin it like the orange one, kangaroo court in deed! More like spoilt child. If this is what a public school education gives you, I'd ask for my money back. Let's hope the tory party self destructs with all this in fighting.

I was in the north east watching the Solstice. I left the day before the Prince of Lies had his tantrum. The sunrise was glorious though the sunset was rather cloudy. Whilst up there I was watching the swallows and thinking that when I lived in Taunton the number of migrant birds reduced each year which led to this poem. 633 Squadron and The Dambusters were two Second World War films. 

swallows at Lindisfarne


it must be like watching a rerun

of an old war time film

633 Squadron or The Dambusters

that part when they’ve done the daring do

and they limp back to base

except the ones that don’t make it


to take stock you need to stand still

to see exactly what we are losing by increment

As you can see my aim was to underline the crisis in the bird population with the return of aircraft from a mission. This second poem is about my camping chair at the beach hut.

I gave my chair a haircut

that old green camping one

it’s been in need of a trim for years

the nylon unthreaded like Jenny Greenteeth

all those synthetic fibres floating in the breeze

until now

Yes I did give it a haircut. Jenny Greenteeth I always thought was an old phrase to describe duckweed but when I looked it up it is far more interesting. She is a river-hag, my apologies Ms Greenteeth, I meant you no disrespect.

Here's The Mountain Goats.


Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment