Friday 18 August 2023

TRAP MY FEAR ON PAPER

Writing about something that you are afraid of can rob the fear of power. It's a variation of how naming a thing can defuse its impact. I suppose the story of Rumpelstiltskin is all about this. I did have to get out of bed the other night and write out this first poem.

stubborn


unyielding


the latch bolt stuck

or the handle failed to turn far enough


whatever


I was locked in our bedroom


briefly


panicking


rattling the nob loud enough to wake you

and for you to ask what I’m up to

just as the door flies open

and I swear I will fix this tomorrow


awake three hours later

I write my account

trap my fear on paper

so I can sleep in a room with the door ajar

This is not a poem where the end came first, rather I wrote the story chronologically and the ending presented itself. I thought that it was the ending of the poem that could turn the very personal story into something more universal. Not sure what I am going to do with this poem. It needs time to breathe.

This second poem is somewhat more surreal. The Lizard King is Jim Morrison, late of The Doors. Recently a friend asked if I had the lp and as luck would have it I had, so we listened to it.

you invoke the name of the lizard king

set him spinning to have him speak

his words are here then he is gone

movement is all this night

here is my reality

see my silver tracers

Again this is autobiographical, dense and open to your interpretation. 

I suppose I should play some Doors. Here's Hyacinth House. I'm not a fan but this is excellent.

I got a copy of the expanded first record by Comsatt Angels recently. It is as good as I remember.

Until next time.     

No comments:

Post a Comment