Friday 12 January 2024

ENOUGH ROOM FOR EVERYONE

Yesterday I met with the Secret Poets for the first time in a while. As usual they were able to help me improve my work. I cannot stress the value of finding a supportive writing group. I am very lucky, we have been together for many years now and their aid is inestimable. Look, for example, how their suggestions have improved this poem. You can see the last version here

my grandfather walked out of Eden

just as the trouble kicked off

and they were all cast out of paradise

by that angel with the flaming sword

grandfather said it looked the business

impressive in a peevish kind of way


the trouble with that sort of history

he told us is the focus on

those with their names in the book

and not the likes of him

offspring of Lilith the first wife

the one who is never spoken of


nor of all the others lost to time now

who were quietly getting on with their lives

while this angry god psychodrama

was acted out around them


my grandfather walked out of Eden

the world is large as he discovered

there is enough room for everyone

You may think that there are only minor changes, a word here, a word there, or the odd line break. Such details improve the poem immensely. Anyway I think this poem has reached its final form. Thanks Secrets.

Here's a new song from Anna Ternheim. 

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment