Friday 26 July 2024

A MOODY INTENSITY

I am a little tardy in posting this week as I have been preoccupied with the details of my new collection, more on this on Tuesday. Suffice to say I have a fifth book coming out which you can order either as a book or an e-book. Today's poem comes with assistance  from the Secret Poets. You can read the earlier draft here.

IT COULD BE CATCHING


There had been an outbreak of poetry

thankfully it was only a villanelle.

The symptoms were a moody intensity,

giving his life an ABA frequency.

He was quarantined in a cheap hotel.


There had been an outbreak of poetry

and his choice of rhyme revealed uncertainty,

he was unsure if they worked that well.

The symptoms were a moody intensity

to which the nurses responded with flattery,

how he longed to get out of his cell.


There had been an outbreak of poetry

how long it would last none could tell.

The symptoms were a moody intensity

to which they suggested psychiatry

as his rhyming scheme was shot to hell.

What's changed? Well it is no longer a villanelle, Liz suggested that as the rhyming scheme was "shot to hell" it could just stop. I thought that was a wonderful idea. The spacing has also changed.

I was saddened this week to hear of the death of Toumani Diabati. The world is the poorer without him. He was an amazing musician. I have some wonderful memories of seeing him play live over the years. He will be missed.

Until Tuesday and the information of how you can order my new book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment